Simply ace news for golfer Roy
Roy Goldney, from Ditchingham, hit his first-ever hole-in-one during the recent monthly veterans’ stableford at Bungay & Waveney Valley Golf Club, writes Viv Thomas.
The 73-year-old (pictured) who has been playing golf for almost 60 years, aced the par 3, 145-yard, 15th hole, using a five wood.
“It’s the first time I’ve got a hole-in-one in the whole of my golfing career, he said. “It sailed away, bounced twice, rolled down the green and went in the hole. It was an unusual feeling to see it go in.
“I thought my god, how much is that going to cost me?” he laughed, thinking of the bar bill back at the clubhouse, “but it wasn’t too bad.”
He added: “I was elated. It was an achievement after all these years, It’s something which every golfer wants to do.”
You may also want to watch:
Roy, who used to work as a keyboard operator at Eastern Counties Newspapers before retiring, has been a member at Bungay for 30 years after moving from Guildford in Surrey to East Anglia in the mid-70s. It was five years before he could become a member as there was a waiting list.
It was a red-letter day for Roy not just because he achieved the hole-in-one but he was also a prize-winner in the stableford competition and cut his handicap to 20. “I came second with 41 points. First time I have scored a hole-in-one and got five points,” said a delighted Roy.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 5 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 9 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
There’s more golf news from Bungay and Beccles golf clubs on Page 45.