Summons double eases pressure

Loddon Utd 3, Mattishall 1

LODDON moved further clear of relegation danger in the Premier Division with an excellent victory against high-flying Mattishall.

Mattishall started brightly but Loddon gradually got on top.

A Dan Andersen cross hit a hand just outside the box, Summons’ free kick was missed by several players and the ball found its way to Parkin on the far side. He took one touch, turned and delivered a cool finish to put Loddon deservedly in front on 19 minutes.

On 25 minutes Loddon should have increased their lead. Hancock found Marjoribanks and with a delicate chip he sent Dan Andersen away to the by-line. He pulled back only for Summons’ effort to be cleared off the line.

Mattishall threatened from a corner when their number 10 fired just over, then again with the number nine firing well wide and had a decent spell looking for the equaliser, although Stebbings only had one save to make.

Loddon weathered the mini storm and five minutes before the break Dan Andersen picked up a loose ball, fed Summons in the channel and with great control on the move he slotted it home through the keeper’s legs.

Most Read

After the break, it took Summons just two minutes to bag his second. He took an in-swinging corner from the left and watched it slip into the near top corner as the Mattishall keeper appeared to misjudge it and help it on its way.

The visitors responded and had valid claims of handball in the box against Hancock.

After several breaks and good opportunities were wasted, Loddon conceded a late consolation, squeezed into the net from a corner.

Loddon now look forward to the visit of top of the league Cromer.

Musker McIntyre MoM: Tom Baylis.

Loddon: Stebbings; Hancock, Baylis, Durrant, Andersen R, Andersen D, Summons G, Parkin M, Greenhalf, Marjoribanks, Squire.

Subs: Riches, Halls.

Bungay Town 0, Hindringham 2

ANOTHER good opportunity to mount a challenge to avoid relegation went begging on Saturday as Bungay were beaten by Hindringham in Division One.

Bungay dominated the game for much of the time, played some good approach football and hit the woodwork twice, but despite that were unable to seriously test the visiting keeper with the chances that came their way.

And they were then the architects of the own downfall as they gave away a needless penalty and then failed to convert one of their own.

Without the injured top scorer Dan Andrews they operated without a recognised striker, with Russell Tuffs and Joe MacDonald the forward players.

Tuffs tested the keeper with a header early on, and a Danny Wilby free-kick just cleared the bar. Soon after they were unlucky when James Youngman’s cross to the far post saw a great volley from an angle by MacDonald strike the face of the bar and be cleared for a corner.

Kevin Riches replaced Cole and soon felled a Hindringham forward in the box with a hot-headed challenge which saw Gary Belton gratefully convert the spot kick. Almost from the re-start Bungay won a penalty of their own as Tuffs was brought down, but he picked himself up to roll his spot-kick wide of a post.

Hindringham got a second with 10 minutes left as Belton was allowed time to control the ball just outside the area and fire home through a crowd of players.

The result leaves Bungay five points adrift at the bottom with eight games left.

Bungay: G Foyster, M Lowe (S Olley), S Batt, S Whiteman, S Campbell, J Youngman (C Sartain), D Wilby, T Cole (K Riches), D Shimmon, R Tuffs, J MacDonald.

n Tomorrow Bungay visit Bradenham Wanderers. The Reserves entertain Mattishall Reserves (kick-off 2.30pm).