Tasty cup derby for Beccles
Beccles Town first team hopefully return to action on Saturday when Corton visit in a tasty Suffolk Senior Cup tie, 2.15pm, College Meadow. The Reserves travel to East Harling.
Beccles Town first team hopefully return to action on Saturday when Corton visit in a tasty Suffolk Senior Cup tie, 2.15pm, College Meadow.
The Reserves travel to East Harling.
Mildenhall Reserves 2, Beccles Reserves 1
THE journey to Mildenhall was the first since 1981 for a Beccles side. The first team played them in the Suffolk Senior Cup. That was the year they reached the semi-finals before ironically losing 3-0 to Crane Sports - the team Beccles beat last year in the final.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles Reserves won the toss and defended the slope in the first half. In a competitive opening spell Scott Barnard and Ray Masteld went close.
However, Mildenhall drew first blood when, following a breakaway, Blair hit a low shot that beat Lever at his left post after 20 minutes.
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 Former pub and restaurant could become six-bed home
- 3 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 4 Latitude boss 'super confident' about 2021 events going ahead
- 5 'Everyone knew' Suffolk journalist David Lennard in the towns he covered during long career
- 6 Coronavirus case rates in Suffolk continue to fall below national average
- 7 Tributes to 'much loved' council worker as dustcart leads funeral cortège
- 8 Concerns over lack of coronavirus vaccine centres in north Suffolk
- 9 Multi-million pound river barrier to protect Broads being considered
- 10 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
Beccles defended well and were making good use of possession through Martin, Fenn and Masteld. Just before half-time Ashley Lever cleared long to Barnard, who controlled the ball before advancing and lobbing over the keeper for 1-1.
Early in the second half Beccles failed to clear a Mildenhall attack and Firmin made it 2-1 virtually from the kick-off.
Beccles introduced Matt Fiske after 50 minutes,a first team regular before a serious injury ruled him out for over a year.
Masters and Barnard had chances before Beccles looked to have scored an equaliser, only for Harmer's effort to be ruled out.
Beccles continued to defend well through Greengrass, Howard, Compton and Harmer and battled right to the end in an unluckily defeat.