Tasty cup derby for Beccles
Beccles Town first team hopefully return to action on Saturday when Corton visit in a tasty Suffolk Senior Cup tie, 2.15pm, College Meadow. The Reserves travel to East Harling.
Beccles Town first team hopefully return to action on Saturday when Corton visit in a tasty Suffolk Senior Cup tie, 2.15pm, College Meadow.
The Reserves travel to East Harling.
Mildenhall Reserves 2, Beccles Reserves 1
THE journey to Mildenhall was the first since 1981 for a Beccles side. The first team played them in the Suffolk Senior Cup. That was the year they reached the semi-finals before ironically losing 3-0 to Crane Sports - the team Beccles beat last year in the final.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles Reserves won the toss and defended the slope in the first half. In a competitive opening spell Scott Barnard and Ray Masteld went close.
However, Mildenhall drew first blood when, following a breakaway, Blair hit a low shot that beat Lever at his left post after 20 minutes.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 5 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 9 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
Beccles defended well and were making good use of possession through Martin, Fenn and Masteld. Just before half-time Ashley Lever cleared long to Barnard, who controlled the ball before advancing and lobbing over the keeper for 1-1.
Early in the second half Beccles failed to clear a Mildenhall attack and Firmin made it 2-1 virtually from the kick-off.
Beccles introduced Matt Fiske after 50 minutes,a first team regular before a serious injury ruled him out for over a year.
Masters and Barnard had chances before Beccles looked to have scored an equaliser, only for Harmer's effort to be ruled out.
Beccles continued to defend well through Greengrass, Howard, Compton and Harmer and battled right to the end in an unluckily defeat.