Tasty cup derby for Beccles
Beccles Town first team hopefully return to action on Saturday when Corton visit in a tasty Suffolk Senior Cup tie, 2.15pm, College Meadow. The Reserves travel to East Harling.
Beccles Town first team hopefully return to action on Saturday when Corton visit in a tasty Suffolk Senior Cup tie, 2.15pm, College Meadow.
The Reserves travel to East Harling.
Mildenhall Reserves 2, Beccles Reserves 1
THE journey to Mildenhall was the first since 1981 for a Beccles side. The first team played them in the Suffolk Senior Cup. That was the year they reached the semi-finals before ironically losing 3-0 to Crane Sports - the team Beccles beat last year in the final.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles Reserves won the toss and defended the slope in the first half. In a competitive opening spell Scott Barnard and Ray Masteld went close.
However, Mildenhall drew first blood when, following a breakaway, Blair hit a low shot that beat Lever at his left post after 20 minutes.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 4 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 5 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 6 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 10 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
Beccles defended well and were making good use of possession through Martin, Fenn and Masteld. Just before half-time Ashley Lever cleared long to Barnard, who controlled the ball before advancing and lobbing over the keeper for 1-1.
Early in the second half Beccles failed to clear a Mildenhall attack and Firmin made it 2-1 virtually from the kick-off.
Beccles introduced Matt Fiske after 50 minutes,a first team regular before a serious injury ruled him out for over a year.
Masters and Barnard had chances before Beccles looked to have scored an equaliser, only for Harmer's effort to be ruled out.
Beccles continued to defend well through Greengrass, Howard, Compton and Harmer and battled right to the end in an unluckily defeat.