Double trouble for struggling Black Dogs
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Rovers completed the double over the Black Dogs on Saturday, with the visitors failing to score for the fifth time this season – going down 3-0.
Bungay had their chances in an evenly-contested game but could not take them, and yet again gifted goals to the opposition to make their task harder.
Jack Tipple brought a save from the home keeper with an early header and Tyrone Baynes header from the rebound was saved. Rovers put a shot wide following a free-kick, and as the game flowed freely frpm end to end Jordan Tubby tried to chip the keeper, but the effort lacked height.
In the 15th minute Lewis Riches made a fine save to prevent the home side going ahead, and Lewis Good got in a timely tackle to cut out more danger. But Rovers went ahead in the 27th minute when a cross from the left found Taylor Vickers free at the far post and he slotted home.
Bungay went close themselves immediately following a move down the left, with River Crowson's shot narrowly missing the far post. But Thetford scored their second in three minutes as Pedro Fortes took advantage of some poor Bungay defending.
You may also want to watch:
Before the interval Charlie Bowen fired wide when James Wightman set up the chance and Crowson brought a save from the keeper with a header.
Bungay needed an early goal in the second half and it almost came in the 48th minute, with Baynes unlucky to see his long-range shot hit the bar with the keeper stranded. Almost immediately Rovers attacked down the left, and when Riches failed to gather the ball at a forward's feet the ball was played in for Paulo Martins to tap in.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 3 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 4 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 5 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 6 Suffolk Covid rates declining, but increased deaths expected for next three weeks
- 7 Why some over 70s get the Covid vaccine before over 80s
- 8 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 9 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 10 Suffolk adhering to lockdown three restrictions as much as first lockdown, data shows
Thetford put an easy chance wide in the 63rd minute. Bungay introduced new signing, Bulgarian Ivan Ivanov, and they created a chance as Crowson set up Wightman, but he was thwarted by a defender, and Riches had to make another good save with his feet to prevent a fourth goal for Rovers. Before the end Tipple headed wide from Wightman's corner and Thetford failed to convert an easy chance. With five minutes left Keith Caley for sent to the sinbin for dissent.
Bungay Town: L Riches, D Riches, J Tipple, L Good, K Caley, J Wightman (C Bowen), T Baynes, B Wilson, J Tubby, R Crowson, C Bowen (I Ivanov).
Tomorrow the Black Dogs entertain Fakenham Reserves, who are just below them at the foot of the Anglian Combination Division One table (kick-off 2.30pm).