Double trouble for struggling Black Dogs
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Rovers completed the double over the Black Dogs on Saturday, with the visitors failing to score for the fifth time this season – going down 3-0.
Bungay had their chances in an evenly-contested game but could not take them, and yet again gifted goals to the opposition to make their task harder.
Jack Tipple brought a save from the home keeper with an early header and Tyrone Baynes header from the rebound was saved. Rovers put a shot wide following a free-kick, and as the game flowed freely frpm end to end Jordan Tubby tried to chip the keeper, but the effort lacked height.
In the 15th minute Lewis Riches made a fine save to prevent the home side going ahead, and Lewis Good got in a timely tackle to cut out more danger. But Rovers went ahead in the 27th minute when a cross from the left found Taylor Vickers free at the far post and he slotted home.
Bungay went close themselves immediately following a move down the left, with River Crowson's shot narrowly missing the far post. But Thetford scored their second in three minutes as Pedro Fortes took advantage of some poor Bungay defending.
You may also want to watch:
Before the interval Charlie Bowen fired wide when James Wightman set up the chance and Crowson brought a save from the keeper with a header.
Bungay needed an early goal in the second half and it almost came in the 48th minute, with Baynes unlucky to see his long-range shot hit the bar with the keeper stranded. Almost immediately Rovers attacked down the left, and when Riches failed to gather the ball at a forward's feet the ball was played in for Paulo Martins to tap in.
- 1 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 2 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 3 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 5 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 6 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 7 Homelessness charity celebrating 10 years of transforming lives
- 8 Special woodland event to remember those we have lost
- 9 Diversions in place as water main works take place in Loddon
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
Thetford put an easy chance wide in the 63rd minute. Bungay introduced new signing, Bulgarian Ivan Ivanov, and they created a chance as Crowson set up Wightman, but he was thwarted by a defender, and Riches had to make another good save with his feet to prevent a fourth goal for Rovers. Before the end Tipple headed wide from Wightman's corner and Thetford failed to convert an easy chance. With five minutes left Keith Caley for sent to the sinbin for dissent.
Bungay Town: L Riches, D Riches, J Tipple, L Good, K Caley, J Wightman (C Bowen), T Baynes, B Wilson, J Tubby, R Crowson, C Bowen (I Ivanov).
Tomorrow the Black Dogs entertain Fakenham Reserves, who are just below them at the foot of the Anglian Combination Division One table (kick-off 2.30pm).