Three goals not enough for Black Dogs

Caister United 4, Bungay Town 3

THE Black Dogs scored three goals in a game for only the second time this season, but they were still not enough to get the reward their play deserved.

In a game staged in steady rain throughout the side staged a great first half fight back, coming back form 2-0 down to lead 3-2 at the interval. But in the end they ran out of steam and Caister hit the winner with five minutes left.

It leaves them needing to win their remaining four games to stand a chance of staying in the Anglian Combination Division One.

Caister played down the slope in the first half and forced a number of early corners, before taking a 10th minute lead. There was no great danger as a low ball came across but Shaun Whiteman could only stoop to head it past the stranded Gary Foyster in attempting to clear.

Sean Payne twice went close for Bungay as they looked good going forward, one goal-bound header being beaten out by the keeper. But it was the home side who scored again, on 25 minutes as Dyble came in at the far post blind side to beat Foyster from close range.

But Bungay then staged a fine fight-back. They pulled one back four minutes later. Dan Lowe was unlucky to see a shot blocked on the line and cleared for a corner, but when James Youngman’s flag kick came over he rose to nod the ball into the far corner. Four minutes later they were level as Dan Andrews received the ball out on the left, cut in on a run through the defence and flicked the ball past the keeper.

Most Read

After another four minutes the Black Dogs took the lead as Joe McDonald’s cross to the far post looped over the keeper’s head and into the net to complete a remarkable spell that left the home side stunned.

But the luck then deserted Bungay in the first minute of the second half. Youngman’s speed took him past a defender and he cut into the area with the opportunity to shoot or square the ball to an unmarked colleague. But before he had the chance to decide, the referee pulled the game back for a foul on him on the edge of the area. He apologised after the game for the error.

Caister picked up their game and equalised in the 49th minute as Dan Bartram just managed to beat Foyster to a through ball to roll it home.

Bungay’s cause was not helped by an injury to Payne which say him replaced by Robert Read. Dan Shimmon put a header from Whiteman’s cross narrowly wide, but as they tired Caister made the most of it, and Foyster had to make two fine blocking saves to keep them out. In the 85th minute Bartram snatched the winner with a goal almost identical to his first.

Bungay have no game tomorrow. The Reserves entertain Long Stratton Reserves (2.30).

Bungay: G Foyster, M Lowe, S Payne (R Read), S Whiteman, D Lowe, J McDonald, D Shimmon, S Olley, S Campbell, J Youngman (C Sartain), D Andrews.