Thrills and spills for sailors
BUCKENHAM Sailing Club held their annual regatta at the weekend. Competitors enjoyed two days of almost ideal sailing conditions.
On Saturday afternoon there was a strong ebb tide and steady force 2-3 south westerly and on Sunday the wind increased to give some very exciting racing.
In Race One, Big Zipper sailed by Chris Skedge and Chris Clitheroe held a commanding lead over Winsmour sailed by Janet Gilmour and Jane Winslade who finished just seconds ahead of Natterjack with Mike Spencer and Sue Burrell on board who took third place.
In Race Two, visiting Wayfarer sailors, Kevin Priest and P Headland sailed One for the Road to victory, followed by Jim Frost in Skylark with Big Zipper taking third place on corrected time, although they had crossed the line ahead of the fleet.
There were thrills and spills on Sunday with testing gybe marks at both ends of the course, capsizes and retirements.
Racing was very tight between Skylark, One for the Road and Big Zipper. It all came down to the last race and Skylark flew in just 13 seconds on corrected time ahead of the Wayfarer to take the overall Regatta Allcomers Trophy.
Hannah and Joseph Burrell battled it out for the Junior trophy, with Hannah in Geronimo just having the edge over her brother in Eclipse.
- 1 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 2 Queen's Jubilee celebration events aplenty to enjoy in Waveney
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 5 Memorial garden unveiled as centre's open day is a success
- 6 Suffolk care boss warns fuel costs could soon be unsustainable
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Vandals damage fence and gate in night-time incident
- 9 Bungay Garden Market returns in full after two year absence
- 10 Call to back campaign to win £20,000 of primary school sports gear
Race One: 1 Big Zipper (Chris Skedge and Chris Clitheroe), 2 Winsmour (Janet Gilmour and Jane Winslade), 3 Natterjack (Mike Spencer and Sue Burrell).
Race Two: 1 One for the Road (Kevin Priest and P Headland), 2 Skylark (Jim Frost), 3 Big Zipper.
Race Three: 1 Skylark, 2 One for the Road, 3 Big Zipper.
Race Four: 1 One for the Road, 2 Skylark, 3 Big Zipper.
Race Five: 1 Skylark, 2 One for the Road, 3r Saphira (Stephen Riley and Kevin Frosdick).
Overall Results: 1 Skylark, 2 One for the Road, 3 Big Zipper, 4 Winsmour.
Juniors: 1 Geronimo (Hannah Burrell), 2 Eclipse (Joseph Burrell).