Tigers beat Panthers in cup
TOPCROFT Tigers U17 beat local rivals Beccles Panthers U17 by 70 runs in the second zone match of this year's Junior Bob Carter Cup. Ten man Beccles won the toss and asked the current cup holders to bat first on a blustery and wet day.
TOPCROFT Tigers U17 beat local rivals Beccles Panthers U17 by 70 runs in the second zone match of this year's Junior Bob Carter Cup.
Ten man Beccles won the toss and asked the current cup holders to bat first on a blustery and wet day.
Ben Baldwin and Chris Taylor opened the batting with Baldwin (16) looking in good touch until he was caught at mid off. Chris Barber joined Taylor and kept up the pace, taking the score onto 94 from 15 overs when Barber was bowled for 24.
Taylor was in fine form and was the mainstay of the Topcroft innings, scoring a well deserved 52. Other valuable knocks came from George Mattocks (18) and Adam Todd (19) as Topcroft posted a below par 191 all out from 32.2 overs.
You may also want to watch:
L Buck was the most successful bowler taking 4-9 from three overs while A Wright took 2-13 from his three overs.
The Beccles reply was based around an outstanding knock of 72 from their captain Richard Porter. The only other batsman to reach double figures was L Smith (12) as Topcroft took wickets at regular intervals.
- 1 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 2 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 5 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 6 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 7 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 8 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 Walk-in vaccine clinics cancelled following influx of bookings
Wicket takers were Ben Flanagan (3-27), George Mattocks (2-28), Adam Todd (2-21) and Jimmy Layton (1-23). From 90-5, Beccles went to 90-8.
Porter kept last man Vickers off strike as much as possible but when he went for a single off the last ball of the 25th over, Barber produced a fantastic direct hit to run him out, as Beccles finished on 121, with 11 overs still remaining. Last zone match is at home to Great Melton, Sunday July 20, 1.30pm.