Tigers beat Panthers in cup
TOPCROFT Tigers U17 beat local rivals Beccles Panthers U17 by 70 runs in the second zone match of this year's Junior Bob Carter Cup. Ten man Beccles won the toss and asked the current cup holders to bat first on a blustery and wet day.
TOPCROFT Tigers U17 beat local rivals Beccles Panthers U17 by 70 runs in the second zone match of this year's Junior Bob Carter Cup.
Ten man Beccles won the toss and asked the current cup holders to bat first on a blustery and wet day.
Ben Baldwin and Chris Taylor opened the batting with Baldwin (16) looking in good touch until he was caught at mid off. Chris Barber joined Taylor and kept up the pace, taking the score onto 94 from 15 overs when Barber was bowled for 24.
Taylor was in fine form and was the mainstay of the Topcroft innings, scoring a well deserved 52. Other valuable knocks came from George Mattocks (18) and Adam Todd (19) as Topcroft posted a below par 191 all out from 32.2 overs.
You may also want to watch:
L Buck was the most successful bowler taking 4-9 from three overs while A Wright took 2-13 from his three overs.
The Beccles reply was based around an outstanding knock of 72 from their captain Richard Porter. The only other batsman to reach double figures was L Smith (12) as Topcroft took wickets at regular intervals.
- 1 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 Creator of mystery Covehithe statue reveals where it went
- 4 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 5 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 6 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 7 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 8 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 9 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 10 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
Wicket takers were Ben Flanagan (3-27), George Mattocks (2-28), Adam Todd (2-21) and Jimmy Layton (1-23). From 90-5, Beccles went to 90-8.
Porter kept last man Vickers off strike as much as possible but when he went for a single off the last ball of the 25th over, Barber produced a fantastic direct hit to run him out, as Beccles finished on 121, with 11 overs still remaining. Last zone match is at home to Great Melton, Sunday July 20, 1.30pm.