Titles joy for Beccles bowls players
IN the Ladies' County Bowls Finals played at Haverhill last weekend Beccles players carried off three titles. Kirsty Clarke became the first player from the club to win the Four Wood Singles when she beat club-mate Louise Catchpole 21-10.
IN the Ladies' County Bowls Finals played at Haverhill last weekend Beccles players carried off three titles.
Kirsty Clarke became the first player from the club to win the Four Wood Singles when she beat club-mate Louise Catchpole 21-10. However, there was consolation for Louise as she won the Champion of Champion Singles.
Maureen Wright, Nora Rutherford and Barbara Capon made it a hat-trick of wins when they won the Two Wood Triples.
Other losing finalists were Louise Catchpole in the U25 Singles, Kirsty Clarke in the Two Wood Singles and Margaret Moore, Cyril Moore and David Wood in the Mixed Triples.
Beccles Ladies narrowly missed out on a place in the national final of the Yetton Plate when they went down by just two shots to North Cave (Yorkshire) at Peterborough.
Beccles held a narrow lead for most of the match leading by 14-11 at five ends, 32-29 at 10 ends, 52-42 at 15 ends and 61-55 at 18 ends. But, in the closing ends, North Cave edged ahead and with one end left to play, Beccles were unable to score the three shots required to force an extra end losing by 68-70.
- 1 Memorial garden unveiled as centre's open day is a success
- 2 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 3 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 4 Queen's Jubilee celebration events aplenty to enjoy in Waveney
- 5 Vandals damage fence and gate in night-time incident
- 6 Suffolk care boss warns fuel costs could soon be unsustainable
- 7 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 8 'A very special place' - New mayor privileged to serve town
- 9 Snap survey - Patients ignored health conditions after GP waits
- 10 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
Rink scores: M Wright, J Grice, P Mulcairn and M Rushmere 15, M Walksley 20; M Moore, G Marwood, J Plant and B Capon 18, M Riseam 19; D Gaze, P Howard, M Rayner and D Woodhouse 13, C Dennis 18; J Batley, R Clarke, N Rutherford and M Draper 22, V Palmer 13.
Tomorrow, Beccles will attempt to retain the Men's County League title when they play Sudbury at Mid-Suffolk.
Then on Sunday Beccles A play their last group Mixed County League match against Ipswich B, having already qualified for the final on Sunday week.