Titles joy for Beccles bowls players
IN the Ladies' County Bowls Finals played at Haverhill last weekend Beccles players carried off three titles. Kirsty Clarke became the first player from the club to win the Four Wood Singles when she beat club-mate Louise Catchpole 21-10.
IN the Ladies' County Bowls Finals played at Haverhill last weekend Beccles players carried off three titles.
Kirsty Clarke became the first player from the club to win the Four Wood Singles when she beat club-mate Louise Catchpole 21-10. However, there was consolation for Louise as she won the Champion of Champion Singles.
Maureen Wright, Nora Rutherford and Barbara Capon made it a hat-trick of wins when they won the Two Wood Triples.
Other losing finalists were Louise Catchpole in the U25 Singles, Kirsty Clarke in the Two Wood Singles and Margaret Moore, Cyril Moore and David Wood in the Mixed Triples.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles Ladies narrowly missed out on a place in the national final of the Yetton Plate when they went down by just two shots to North Cave (Yorkshire) at Peterborough.
Beccles held a narrow lead for most of the match leading by 14-11 at five ends, 32-29 at 10 ends, 52-42 at 15 ends and 61-55 at 18 ends. But, in the closing ends, North Cave edged ahead and with one end left to play, Beccles were unable to score the three shots required to force an extra end losing by 68-70.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 4 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 5 Let's staycation in...Beccles
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Special woodland event to remember those we have lost
- 9 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Suffolk
- 10 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
Rink scores: M Wright, J Grice, P Mulcairn and M Rushmere 15, M Walksley 20; M Moore, G Marwood, J Plant and B Capon 18, M Riseam 19; D Gaze, P Howard, M Rayner and D Woodhouse 13, C Dennis 18; J Batley, R Clarke, N Rutherford and M Draper 22, V Palmer 13.
Tomorrow, Beccles will attempt to retain the Men's County League title when they play Sudbury at Mid-Suffolk.
Then on Sunday Beccles A play their last group Mixed County League match against Ipswich B, having already qualified for the final on Sunday week.