Topcroft CC’s bid to return to Division One gathering momentum
- Credit: Archant
Topcroft recorded a comprehensive win over Saham Toney to suggest they should be a force to be reckoned with at the lower level of Division Two.
After opting to bat first, openers Greg Rostron (83) and Harry Windrage (78) started the innings well, with middle order from hitting Thomas Shrewsbury (44), James Goodfellow (32) and Ian Todd (40) helping to get the team to 334.
In reply Saham Toney got off to an aggressive start to reach 55-0 after 10. However, two wickets in an over by Greg Rostron killed off the momentum.
Scoreboard pressure then continued to mount and disciplined bowling meant that wickets taken by Ben Baldwin (2), Dave Todd (2) and Henry Parkinson (1) saw Saham Toney bowled all out for 167.
Topcroft A recorded a good win against Bradfield A, with man-of-the-match Jacob Rhodes scoring his first half century in the Alliance.
You may also want to watch:
Rhodes made 67 in a total of 228-5, with Graeme Talbot finishing unbeaten on 69. Bradfield got close to their target but finished just short on 220-9, with Rhodes picking up the key wicket of dangerman Peter Abbs (68) and Luke Wheeler taking 3-44.
There was a thrilling game for Topcroft III against Great Melton.
- 1 Cattle farmer who was 'known across the country' dies aged 79
- 2 Family 'truly moved' as crowds remember building company founder
- 3 Six-year-old taken to hospital after lorry collision
- 4 Warning after 'three male youths' break into cars
- 5 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 6 Collapsed footbridges replaced on popular walking route after six-year battle
- 7 Appeal to trace missing man who was last seen in Norwich
- 8 Bridge to be closed overnight with traffic diverted
- 9 'A rare proposition': Construction continues on new development
- 10 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
After slumping to 37-7 there was a major urgency for a hero to arrive. The classic David Reeder batting performance then added 58 for his side, with debutant Ian Bettridge scoring 35, and with there being 28 extras, a total of 168 was amassed.
Topcroft bowled well, with wickets for Bettridge (3), Ryan Ellis (2) and Dave Reeder (2). It was much closer than it should have been with 21 being needed of the last over and Reeder being hit for three successive sixes, Thankfully he then bowled three dot balls (one bye), meaning Topcroft won by two runs.
The Sunday team reached 270 against Ellingham with Jon Block finding his rhythm and scoring a solid 132.
The youthful attack bowled good lines with Jamie Reeder and Lee Ellis bowling well and Maureen Ellis getting her first Sunday wicket. Jeremy Rhodes and Josh Ethridge both struck twice as Ellingham were bowled out for 171.
Topcroft Women lost to Fakenham Women by 10 runs chasing a total of 149 with Sara Worley (30) and Sarah Banns (32) leading the chase.