Topcroft win close cup contest
TOPCROFT entertained North Runcton on Sunday in the first round of the Bob Carter Cup and emerged victorious from a close-fought encounter. Buoyed by their victory the previous day, Topcroft batted first and made a cagey start against some tight bowling from the North Runcton openers.
TOPCROFT entertained North Runcton on Sunday in the first round of the Bob Carter Cup and emerged victorious from a close-fought encounter.
Buoyed by their victory the previous day, Topcroft batted first and made a cagey start against some tight bowling from the North Runcton openers. Hancock and D Todd took the score to 41 before Todd was bowled by Jefferson for 16.
Du Plessis joined Hancock and made 15 before being adjudged lbw. Goodfellow soon followed for four and Topcroft were 74-3. Hancock was the next wicket to fall for a well-made 36, leaving I Todd and Rostron to keep the scoreboard ticking over. No further wickets fell before lunch with Topcroft 121-4 with 19 overs remaining.
After lunch Topcroft's batsmen looked to make quick runs and added 28 before Rostron was bowled for 24. Reeder and Todd began to rotate the strike before Todd was caught for a valuable 31, leaving Reeder (31 not out) and the remaining batsmen to take the final total to 216 off 60 overs.
North Runcton made a strong start to their run chase with 50 off the first 10 overs. A Todd then removed opener Price. The score was 100 before D Todd came into the attack and removed the dangerous Coote for 42.
Some tight bowling from Topcroft began to claw them back into the match and this pressure began to tell as, after the tea interval, North Runcton began to regularly lose wickets in their chase.
- 1 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 2 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 4 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 5 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
- 6 Queen's Jubilee celebration events aplenty to enjoy in Waveney
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 5 of the best brewery tours in Suffolk
- 9 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 10 Memorial garden unveiled as centre's open day is a success
D Todd claimed the wicket of Hemeter before Rostron removed Forder for 45.
D Todd then took a third wicket, leaving Runcton 144-5 and the game finely in the balance.
A Todd was then re-introduced into the attack and this proved to be a decisive move by skipper Goodfellow as along with Rostron the two took the remaining five Runcton wickets to end their innings on 203, 13 runs shy of the Topcroft total.
A Todd ended with figures of 4-44, Rostron and D Todd claiming three wickets each.
This was another good performance from the side, who will look forward to the second round draw.