Tough test for Beccles RFC

RUGBY: Beccles must steel themselves for a must-win game tomorrrow at Harlow.

After the win over a good Old Streetonians side last weekend, confidence will be high for this fixture, and with more players returning this will be another tough week for skipper Lake when it comes to selection.

Beccles 11,Old Streetonians 6

Beccles did what was asked of them and beat a good Old Streetonians team who fought from start to finish.

The starting line-up saw six changes to that which took the field the week before with Hinsley, Payne, Warnes, Wade, Wilson and Williamson all making the starting line-up.

Beccles started the game well and at a pace that the opposition found difficult to contend with. The forwards were providing a good platform up front and generating a good supply of ball for the backs to spread wide.

The ball was moved wide on a regular basis with Willamson, Rayner, Davey-Durak and Vasey-Lark all making good yards into the opposition half. Time and again Old Streetonians’ defence was stretched but just managed to snuff out the Beccles attack.

Most Read

The Beccles pack was having a great day with Ling, Lake and Warnes putting in outstanding performances, keeping Beccles’ play moving forward and creating the platform for the dynamic back row to cut loose.

With Beccles applying pressure, Old Streetonians gave away a penalty which Wade stepped up and slotted to give Beccles a three-point lead.

Shortly after, from another penalty, Beccles took a line-out close to the opposition line.

A good take from Hinsley set up a solid driving maul which, after a number of attempts, Ling wrestled his way over the line for the only try of the game.

As the first half was coming to a close Rayner went on a mazy run, skipping through a number of opposition defenders, and shipped the ball wide to Wilson. He stormed down the wing but was held up just short of the line.

From the resultant clearance Beccles took a good line-out near the halfway line and thundered towards the opposition line.

Baksza led the charge with a Musket McIntyre man-of-the-match display, taking ball within inches of the opposition line.

With what looked like a certain try on the cards the ball was turned over, allowing Old Streetonians to clear their lines.

As the seconds ticked down Wade slotted another long-range penalty to give the home side and 11-point lead.

Beccles expected to continue this dominance in the second half, however Old Streetonians came back at Beccles hard, showing just why they demolished Sudbury by over 50

points the week before.

Despite the pressure from the opposition, Beccles continued to create good try-scoring opportunities with Sale going close following three or four cheeky dummies, and the forwards threatening from a number of close-range line-outs.

But the inability to convert these chances frustrated the home side and gave Old Streetonians a glimpse of hope.

With tensions and frustrations mounting, a number of infringements close to the Beccles line allowed the guests two penalties which they slotted to bring themselves within five points.

Beccles brought on Holmes, Pitts and Murray to freshen things up.

This seemed to have the desired effect and following wave after wave of attack, Old Streetonians were unable to cross the Beccles line.