Two-goal lead but Bungay draw

Bungay Town were unable two hold onto a two-goal lead on Saturday and relinquished two Anglian Combnation division one points against a good Horsford side.

Bungay Town were unable two hold onto a two-goal lead on Saturday and relinquished two Anglian Combnation division one points against a good Horsford side.

Rory French got both the home goals, both laid on by the hard-working Eddie Collings, but a draw was a fair result between two well matched sides and the Horsford equaliser was worthy of winning any game, let alone gaining a draw.

The game marked the return to the club of two former Town players, Paul Bullen and Sean Payne, adding to the strength of Richard Daniels' squad, with Bullen starting and Payne coming on after only two minutes for Lee Henwood, who strained a hamstring in the warm-up.

Luke Field got in an early header from Paul Hunter's cross but it was straight at the keeper and when Thomas Daniels broke down the right and crossed low there was no-one on hand to get a touch.

You may also want to watch:

But the home side took the lead on 15 minutes as keeper Jimmy Bligh found Collings with a long kick and he turned the ball inside for French to score with a good finish from eight yards. Shortly after Neil Renaut laid on a chance for French but he shot straight at the keeper.

Horsford came more into the game and Bligh was forced into a good save with his legs when a forward broke through. Another effort from the visitors cleared the bar when the ball broke to a player in the area and then a header from a volleyed cross just cleared the bar as they finished the half well.

Most Read

But seven minutes into the second half Bungay went 2-0 up as a fine long ball from impressive captain Craig Hunting found Collings on the left and his cross to the far post was bundled in by French for his fourth goal in three games.

Seconds later more good spadework from Collings gave French another good chance but the keeper blocked his shot.

Horsford weathered Bungay's good spell and pulled one back in the 65th minute as Scott McKinney scored with a simple header from six yards from a corner.

And after the Black Dogs had carved out a couple of chances but failed to get in shots Horsford drew level with 12 minutes left with a superb goal from McKinney as he played a one-two with a colleague and crashed an unstoppable volley past Blight from 20 yards.

Both sides went for a winner the closing stages, with Hunter firing over from 20 yards following a free-kick for Bungay and Bligh making a great save to beat out a fierce Horsford effort. And with virtually the last kick of the game Collings could have won it for the Black Dogs but fired wide from eight yards after Hunter's effort was blocked.

Team: J Bligh, T Daniels, C Hunting, L Henwood (S Payne), D Lowe, P Bullen (T Amis), L Field, N Renaut, P Hunter, R French, E Collings.

Tomorrow Bungay have no game. The Reserves entertain Necton (2) and Bungay A entertain Corton White Horse Seltic (2). On Sunday the Sunday Reserves entertain Winfarthing (10.30), while the Veterans are away at Costessey.

On Tuesday evening Bungay meet Wortwell in the Wightman King Cup (7.30), and on Thursday the U18a are away to Norwich United.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter