Two wins and plenty of goals for Beccles Town


- Credit: Archant

Beccles 4 Poringland Wanderers 3

Beccles were involved in a thrilling game of football, coming back from two goals down to claim the points.

The game started in the worst possible way for Town when a cross from a free-kick was deflected past Cable on five minutes – and two minutes later Poringland doubled their lead.

A disastrous first 10 minutes was complete when Roberts brought down a forward in the box. This led to a turning point in the match, however, as the striker smashed the spot kick against the bar.

Beccles created a chance soon after when Barnard broke through but the keeper made a good save at his feet.

You may also want to watch:

On 40 minutes Beccles pulled a goal back. A free-kick from Hurren was met at the far post by Lovelock who powered a header home.

Beccles came out in the second half and looked to get back into the game and on the hour they were level. Lovelock spotted the run of Hurren and he controlled the ball before slotting past the keeper.

Most Read

Beccles then took the lead for the first time in the game. From an Udell corner Tim Roberts somehow produced an unorthodox yet speculative effort which flew into the top corner.

The pendulum then swung again as the dangerous Poringland winger drove into the box and squared for a striker to poke the ball home.

However, Lovelock had the last word when from a Hurren free-kick the centre back popped up at the back post to finish past the keeper.

Beccles had to see out the rest of the game and used all substitutes to ensure all three points were won.

Victory followed their 2-0 home win over Hindringham on Saturday.

Beccles kicked off and started very well with the midfield three of Heaney, Booker and Udell moving the ball forward with purpose. On 15 minutes the first chance was created when Wright played in Harvey-Cooper who could not find a finish.

Soon after Alfie Wright nearly broke the deadlock when he broke clear in the box, but the keeper produced a great save from point blank range.

On 30 minutes Beccles made the breakthrough. A free-kick was won on the right and from Udell’s floated delivery, Lovelock jumped the highest to glance his header into the net.

On the stroke of half-time Beccles doubled their lead. Following a surging run into the box Harvey-Cooper was brought down. The striker stepped up and stroked the ball into the corner of the net.

The second half started very flat with both team unable to hit top gear, and it was a half of few chances.

Beccles did create a good chance for Wright who narrowly drove his shot wide. Beccles did have to dig deep for the final 10 minutes following Bailey’s dismissal and saw the game out professionally.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter