United hit back for point

Beccles Town 1, Loddon United 1THIS was always going to be a tense and tight affair against the old enemy. United knew Town managers Broxup and Lees would have their troops well prepared.

Beccles Town 1, Loddon United 1

THIS was always going to be a tense and tight affair against the old enemy. United knew Town managers Broxup and Lees would have their troops well prepared.

The opening spell saw Beccles start the better side, closing down quickly, allowing Loddon no time on the ball and breaking quickly down both flanks.

Beccles had the first attempt on goal after 15 minutes but sliced well over. A few minutes later a headed opportunity was well wide following a corner, but on 20 minutes Loddon allowed Beccles two free headers in the box and the second beat Collins to put the home side deservedly ahead.

Loddon responded when Wright was put through by Robin Andersen but the home keeper went down well to prevent the shot.

Dan Andersen then won a corner after a move involving Gary Summons, Shipley and Marjoribanks only for the latter to be penalised when challenging for the cross.

Most Read

On 40 minutes Oliver won a corner, Gary Summons picked up the clearance and crossed to the far post where it just evaded Way and Wright. Shipley did well to stop the Beccles break and put Dan Andersen away down the right. Gary Summons did the same next time, and Andersen put in a telling low cross - but the Loddon forwards could not get there.

After tea, Dan Andersen sent in an early cross but Oliver, Marjoribanks nor Wright managed to connect. Beccles, with a long ball, went clear but Collins did well.

Dan Andersen found Marjoribanks who put Oliver away, but he was flagged offside after putting it wide.

There had been more action in the first five minutes of the second half than had been seen in the previous 45.

New signing Richard Durrant then replaced Wright, and Brown came on for Marjoribanks. Oliver headed on a corner and Way and Brown were close when the home keeper fumbled, but Beccles cleared.

On the hour Dan Andersen did well on the right to challenge and win back possession. He cut inside, crossed and Oliver nipped in to cleverly slip the ball past the keeper to reward Loddon's improved second half performance: 1-1.

Battisson met a Dan Andersen cross but could not guide it goalwards and did well at the other end to head clear.

Ricky Summons was then caught with a nasty tackle and received lengthy treatment. He was able to resume.

Durrant was looking good on the left with good movement and distribution, and Shipley made two superbly-timed tackles, one in the box which had supporters holding their breath.

With eight minutes left Shipley was caught out, but Beccles sliced wide from 10 yards.

Oliver rose well to head clear a Beccles corner. He found Durrant and then Ricky Summons, but Beccles broke back and Summons got back to tackle brilliantly.

Way blocked a shot from the left, Collins came and took a neat cross, and Robin Andersen took the last-ditch free-kick but couldn't get it past the keeper, and the points were shared.

A better performance by Loddon in the second half, and managers Creegan and Matthews will be happier with the point than Broxup and Lees.

Good turns from Shipley, and Durrant, but Musker McIntyre Man of the Match goes to Dan Andersen for non-stop effort and an assist.

Loddon: Collins; Shipley, Way, Battisson, Andersen R; Andersen D, Summons G, Summons R, Wright; Marjoribanks, Oliver. Subs: Brown, Durrant.