Updated Photo gallery: Beccles Olympics 2011
The town of Beccles celebrated the one-year countdown to the London 2012 Olympics today by hosting the Beccles Olympics 2011 event, one of dozens taking place across Suffolk.
Business partners Christine Pinsent and Kate Lee were behind the event which included a Chariots of Fire challenge, a triathlon and a Great British Market.
Mrs Pinsent, who said there were too many highlights to name, said: “It’s gone really well and there’s been great atmosphere in town.
“The races went amazingly well and the triathlons whizzed by and I am just really pleased with the way it’s gone.”
The Chariots of Fire race saw teams of competitors running around New Market while the clock stuck noon, with serious runners followed by fun runners.
You may also want to watch:
The teams entered were V C Cooke, Beccles Caxton FC, Beccles Town Council ‘Dream Team’ and Beccles Lido Lifeguards. Waveney MP Peter Aldous also took part in the race.
Beccles Lido hosted the triathlon which saw participants running two laps of the Chariots of Fire race, then cycling a planned route in Beccles via the quay before proceeding to the lido to complete two lengths at the pool.
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 4 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 5 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 6 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 7 Woman's body found at Loddon home
- 8 'Increased demand' but waits 'subsiding' at local heating oil company
- 9 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more
- 10 Calls to volunteer for St Elizabeth Hospice
This was then followed by a display of synchronised swimming, a puppet theatre and a diving competition, finishing off with fun on the ‘famous’ inflatable.
The Great British Market was also on all day with crafts, food, drink and local produce.