Updated Photo gallery: Beccles Olympics 2011
The town of Beccles celebrated the one-year countdown to the London 2012 Olympics today by hosting the Beccles Olympics 2011 event, one of dozens taking place across Suffolk.
Business partners Christine Pinsent and Kate Lee were behind the event which included a Chariots of Fire challenge, a triathlon and a Great British Market.
Mrs Pinsent, who said there were too many highlights to name, said: “It’s gone really well and there’s been great atmosphere in town.
“The races went amazingly well and the triathlons whizzed by and I am just really pleased with the way it’s gone.”
The Chariots of Fire race saw teams of competitors running around New Market while the clock stuck noon, with serious runners followed by fun runners.
The teams entered were V C Cooke, Beccles Caxton FC, Beccles Town Council ‘Dream Team’ and Beccles Lido Lifeguards. Waveney MP Peter Aldous also took part in the race.
Beccles Lido hosted the triathlon which saw participants running two laps of the Chariots of Fire race, then cycling a planned route in Beccles via the quay before proceeding to the lido to complete two lengths at the pool.
- 1 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
- 2 Museum ready for 21st century after 'transformation'
- 3 Fire crews tackle blaze for several hours at Suffolk farm
- 4 Celebration of food and drink gearing up for return this weekend
- 5 Chainsaws and drills stolen after rural farm buildings targeted
- 6 Wanted woman arrested in Lowestoft
- 7 Where jubilee parties are taking place in Waveney
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 10 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
This was then followed by a display of synchronised swimming, a puppet theatre and a diving competition, finishing off with fun on the ‘famous’ inflatable.
The Great British Market was also on all day with crafts, food, drink and local produce.