Valley good show by fab four
HOLIDAYS were the main reason for the lack of athletes at the last East Anglian League meeting held at Bury St Edmunds.However, it did not deter four of Waveney Valley's athletes winning their events.
HOLIDAYS were the main reason for the lack of athletes at the last East Anglian League meeting held at Bury St Edmunds.
However, it did not deter four of Waveney Valley's athletes winning their events. Most notable was senior veteran man Robert Cheverton who won the 3,000 metres in the time of nine minutes, 53.2 seconds.
Senior lady Donna Burton threw the discus against a strong field to win with a distance of 27 metres, 42 centimetres, followed by fourth place in the shot (seven metres 28cm) and fifth in the javelin (13 metres 16cm).
There were two first for U13 girls, Tayla Burton (1,500 metres, six minutes 38.8 seconds B race) and Megan Soanes (800 metres, two minutes 47.8 seconds A race). Alice Cheverton took fourth place in the 200 metres B race, third in the 1,500 metres in a time of five minutes 45.2 seconds A race and third in the long jump.
Kieran MacMorran was the only U13 boy in attendance, coming fifth in the 100 metres, third in the 1,500 metres (five minutes 21 seconds) and fifth in the long jump.
Likewise Rachel Smith in the U15 girls, recorded two fourth places in the 100 and 200 metres with times of 13.6 seconds and 29.4 seconds respectively.
- 1 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 2 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 3 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 4 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 5 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 6 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 7 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
- 8 Theatre group set for tour of outdoor venues with latest performances
- 9 Suffolk records sunniest June in nearly 50 years
- 10 Organisers hail success as 'great' hospital fete makes welcome return
Winter training starts on Monday, September 15 at Denes High School Sports Community Centre 6.30 to 8.30pm.