Waterman nets superb Beccles winner

BECCLES TOWN made a successful return from an enforced three-week break on Saturday when they picked up an excellent 3-2 win at Sheringham.

As a result they moved up to sixth in the Gleave and Associates Anglian Combination Premier Division table – and, weather permitting, will be aiming to keep up the good work tomorrow when they entertain high-flying St Andrews.

Beccles met up with an old friend at the weekend, as former club captain Sam Barham is now plying his trade on the north Norfolk coast. They were without Alan Remblance, and in his absence reverted to a 4-4-2 formation, with manager Mick Broxup pairing Ant Martin and Damian Bensley up front and giving a first start in midfield to young Sam Roberts, brother of captain Tom.

Beccles took some 15 minutes to adjust to their new formation and during that time conceded a goal, with the hosts profiting from the visitors’ reshuffle. That said, for the rest of the half the visitors saw much more of the ball, and indeed were unlucky not to draw level when Ant Martin’s goal-bound shot was well saved by the home keeper.

However, they did deservedly equalise when a fine cross from Kevin Waterman picked out Martin, who out-jumped Barham at the far post, and headed back across goal for Damian Bensley to open his account for Beccles. Half-time came and went and Sheringham were struggling to put together any moves of real quality, and Beccles were bossing the game.

Midway through the half the Wherrymen won a free-kick and Waterman floated the ball into the box. Again Martin won the ball and his header down was met on the volley by debutant Sam Roberts, whose shot found the net to put the visitors 2-1 up. Beccles were not content to sit on their lead and the Sheringham defence were having a torrid time, no one more so than Barham, who was booked for a foul on Waterman.

At the other end the tried and tested rearguard of Myhill, Greengrass, McMorran and captain Tom Roberts, who took a knock but was able to continue, were coping with all the Shannocks had to offer.

Most Read

In goal Cable too looked to have everything well and truly under control so it was quite a shock when Sheringham equalised. From a corner, the referee spotted a push and from the resulting penalty the hosts drew level.

The visitors came straight back on the attack. Waterman picked up the ball in the Sheringham half, outpaced Barham, beat two more defenders and unleashed a shot from the edge of the box that gave the home keeper no chance, to give Beccles a 3-2 lead. With the midfield of Masters, Hall, Waterman and King, who came on for Sam Roberts, now in total control, Beccles comfortably saw out the rest of the game.

Tomorrow’s game at College Meadow (2) will provide a big test of Beccles’ resolve, with St Andrews currently second in the table.