Waveney preparing for East Anglian League starter
- Credit: Archant
Sunday sees the first competitive track and field fixture when Waveney AC’s athletes will compete round one of the East Anglian League in Ipswich.
Good Friday saw an early start for Waveney’s youngsters following a late finish the previous night in the Great Yarmouth track and field warm-up meeting, in round one of the Inter-Club Tournament, the Good Friday Run on Gorleston Seafront.
The Inter-Club tournament sees Waveney’s athletes compete as individuals and as a club against Gt Yarmouth and District AC, Framlingham Flyers, Bungay Black Dog RC and Beccles and Bungay Harriers over a race, track and field, indoor sportshall and XC over the course of the year. Friday’s event saw the U11 athletes race over 2k, U13 athletes over 3k and U15/U17 athletes over the full 5k Parkrun course. It was almost perfect running conditions for the 31 Waveney athletes.
The boys’ U11 race was contested by 27 athletes, with Waveney’s Thomas Supple taking the spoils in 9:04 with James Burgess recording 9:16 for third. Waveney’s top U11 girl was Agatha Gouldby who was disappointed to finish a creditable sixth (from 23 girls) in 10:21, despite injuring her ankle halfway around the course. The U13 boys’ event saw a strong field, with Waveney’s top athletes Joel Burgess and Jack Gooch third and fourth respectively in 12:53 and 13:11. Ella Newman was Waveney’s only U13 girl in action running to an impressive sixth place in 15:26.
The full 5k race was contested by all U15/U17 athletes and saw some high class running. First U15 boy home was Alec Mackay from Framlingham in 19:36 with George Browne of Waveney second in 20:03. Tom Spurgeon, also running for Waveney and recovering from injury, registered 22:25. Abeni Beckham was Waveney’s sole U15 girl, recording 25:01. In the U17 event, Harriet Lyman was first for Waveney in 20:10. In the U17 boys’ event, Will Sim of Beccles and Bungay set a blistering time of 17:18, with Waveney’s Sam Stevens recording 18:17. Jamie Besford, also running for Waveney, recorded 20:34. Round two of the Inter-Club takes place on the track in Gt Yarmouth in May.
You may also want to watch:
This year Waveney are contesting both the East Anglian and Eastern Young Athletes Leagues. The club are welcoming new members, especially girls. Contact Michaela on 07491 423244 for more information.
- 1 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 2 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 3 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 4 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 5 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 6 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk
- 7 Psychic to use 'special gift' at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 10 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles