Waveney Valley youngsters in action
- Credit: Archant
Sunday saw young athletes from Waveney Valley AC compete in the final Norfolk Quadkids League meeting of the season in King’s Lynn.
The athletes, entering as individuals, competed across a sprint, endurance run, jump and throw on a points based system, against other athletes from the Norfolk Clubs and Bungay Black Dog RC.
The boys year 4, 5 and 6 competition saw Joel Burgess finish with 217 points, but winning the standing long jump with 1.91m. Tom Spurgeon was top Waveney sprinter with a time of 12.4s with Solomon Elvin continuing to record PBs in his events.
In the girls’ event, Brooke Oram again demonstrated strong throwing skills, recording 28.76m in the howler to beat the other 21 girls for first place, and strong running in the 600m in a time of 2:12s. Across the four events, Brooke recorded 194 points for a great third place finish.
The year 7 and 8 competition again saw Aidan Hewitt in control, winning the 100m in 13.5s, the 800m in 2:40s, the long jump with 4.48m and howler throw with a massive 50.71m. Aidan’s points total of 294 was in excess of 70 of his nearest rival. Bailey Elvin, like his younger brother, continued to record PBs in his events, with a strong throw of 27.29m for third place. Athletes from Waveney Valley were recognised for their performances in the club’s annual awards presentation. Following a fun training session incorporating ‘old skool’ sports day type races, including the athletes, parents and coach’s, the presentation took place.
Each coach cast a vote for their choice of athlete in each category, with the athletes themselves also voting for their top athlete:
U11 most improved: Libby Mayall and Theo Hudson
- 1 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 2 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 3 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 4 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
- 5 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 6 Organisers hail success as 'great' hospital fete makes welcome return
- 7 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 8 Theatre group set for tour of outdoor venues with latest performances
- 9 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 10 Man freed from vehicle and taken to hospital following crash
U13 most improved girl: Harriet Gooch and Leo Joscelyne
Best Sportshall: Shamara Hammonds and Joel Burgess
Best Cross Country: Harriet Lyman and Tai Elvin-Andrews
Best T&F: Mia Hopson and Aidan Hewitt
Athletes Athlete: Mia Hopson, Aidan Hewitt and Lewis Covill
Coach’s Athlete: Harriet Lyman and Lewis Covill.
Each athlete received a silver engraved plate and club embossed sports bag.
There was also the formal presentation of the Club Championship shields won earlier in the summer by Grace Forster and Theo Hudson (U11s), Mia Hopson and Callum Hopson (U13s) and Emily Archbold and Jake Block (U15s).
The athletes are now preparing for a busy winter season of indoor aportshall competition and the cross country league, but next week’s forthcoming Lowestoft Scores Race is the first focus.