Waveney Valley youngsters in the thick of the county action
- Credit: Archant
Athletes from Waveney Valley AC were recently in county action representing Suffolk in the Eastern Regional Sportshall Championships which took place at the University of Hertfordshire in Hatfield.
Waveney’s athletes in the burgundy shirts of Suffolk were up against leading athletes and extremely tough competition from Norfolk, Essex, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire.
The under 11 athletes competed in a more relay/team based competition whereas the U13 and U15 athletes competed in traditional individual events.
Representing the U11 boys from Waveney were William Butcher, Seth Frankland, Jude Benson-Smith, Thomas Supple and Liam Bridges.
Suffolk’s best performer on the day was Waveney’s Frankland who managed fourth place from 20 in the speedbounce with 52 bounces in 20 seconds. Suffolk’s U11 girls team were fourth from the seven county teams in action, with Waveney’s contributions from Agatha Gouldby, Ella Newman, D’Arcie Ives and Io Van-Haren. Waveney’s best contribution was from Io in the chest push with a best of 6.25m.
In the U13s, the boys managed a creditable third with an individual win, along with several second and third places. Joel Burgess, Finn Howes, Benjamin Cone, Michael Van-Haren and Vaughan Beckham from Waveney were in action. Burgess claimed a triple jump victory with a leap of 6.48m with Beckham taking second in the speedbounce with 82 jumps in 30s, and Michael Van-Haren a further second in the shot with 10.42m.
The girls team were fourth, with five Waveney girls in action, Abeni Beckham, Kiera Kane, Shamara Hammonds, Oakley Arnould and Amber English. Abeni finished the indoor season unbeaten in the triple jump with a further victory with a jump of 6.96m. Kiera took another speedbounce second for Suffolk with 81 jumps.
- 1 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 2 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 3 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 4 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 5 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
- 6 Organisers hail success as 'great' hospital fete makes welcome return
- 7 Theatre group set for tour of outdoor venues with latest performances
- 8 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 9 Man freed from vehicle and taken to hospital following crash
- 10 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
With a lack of available U15 athletes to represent Suffolk, Jamie Besford of Waveney battled hard.
With the Sportshall season now finished, and just two cross-country fixtures left, focus for Waveney now turns firmly to training for the outdoor season. Contact Kaly on 07941 423244 to train with Waveney Valley AC.