Winning scores come in threes for Beccles FC

Beccles Town 3, Brandon Town 0

Beccles returned to home pastures after two successful away games and for the third match in succession scored three times.

They were forced into a team change with Neil Mcmorran unavailable. Scot Barnard dropped back to defence with Andy Woods coming in on the left wing.

On a blustery, cool day Beccles were the first out of the traps, the overworked Brandon defence struggling to cope with the home forwards.

Alan Remblance gave notice of what was to come when, following heavy pressure, his header stuck the bar following good work on the right by Ant Martin.

You may also want to watch:

The opening goal arrived after 15 minutes when Ray Masters stole into the area to head home another right-wing cross.

Brandon could have capitulated after conceding several goals in their previous few games, but they took the game to their hosts.

Most Read

Play had been mainly confined to the middle of the pitch, and with half-time approaching the game was still in the balance.

Beccles had other ideas and Masters added his and Beccles’ second when he lashed home from close range.

Second half, with Beccles back in charge, it seemed only a matter of time before they registered their third.

This came from a familiar source. A free-kick was won on the edge of the box and top scorer Alan Remblance shot hard and low to the right-hand post and the ball screamed into the net to extend the lead to 3-0.

Beccles introduced Scott Daniels for Woods, and while the home side saw plenty of the ball they were unable to add to their total. Brandon, bottom of the division, for the most part never gave up.

Tomorrow, Beccles entertain Norwich St Johns in the Mummery Cup with a 1.30pm kick-off.

The Reserves travel to Easton Reserves in the C S Morley Cup.

Kirkley Reserves 1, Beccles Town 3

Beccles recorded a fine midweek derby win after having the luxury of naming the same side as the one that had won at Westerfield the previous Saturday.

Beccles should have gone ahead after 10 minutes when Alan Remblance fired over when through on goal.

The rest of the half Beccles held the initiative and as it looked only a matter of time before they took the lead, against the run of play their hosts struck first. Liam Harvey-Cooper fired home from what looked a suspiciously offside position.

Beccles rolled up their sleeves and fought back, equalising five minutes before half-time when Kevin Waterman curled in a 30-yard free-kick.

Then on the stroke of half-time Ant Martin swivelled and shot under keeper Thacker to give Beccles the lead.

Kirkley came out all guns blazing and Liam Harvey-Cooper twice stuck the woodwork.

Beccles needed a third to claim their nerves and the introduction of Matt King sparked an upsurge in their play. Following some wing wizardry, casting a spell on the full-back, he crossed majestically for Ray Masters to side-foot home, superbly arriving at the far post.

Beccles comfortably saw out time, and for all Kirkley’s pressure they never really troubled the fine Beccles rearguard of Mcmorran, Myhill, Greengrass and Roberts – backed up by the superb handling of keeper Cable.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter