Woe for Beccles Town as hosts hit five goals

St Andrews 5, Beccles Town 1

St Andrews inflicted a heavy defeat on Beccles last Saturday. The visitors had taken the lead, before a mixture of comical defending and fine finishing saw the hosts run out worthy winners.

The start of the game was held up as the match officials objected to the clash of socks.

The game finally started some 15 minutes late, and it was the visitors who started the game the stronger, attacking up the slope. Beccles looked the most likely and it was no surprise when they took the lead.

Top scorer Alan Remblance picked the ball up in the left channel and advanced into the penalty area before steering a low shot under the keeper and into the net for a deserved lead.

In truth, this was as good as it got for the travelling fans and team as St Andrews took the game by the scruff of the neck.

A stunning strike from some 35 yards from Daniel Barraclough sailed into the top corner over the despairing dive of keeper Cable to bring the home side level.

Most Read

Parity only lasted some 10 minutes before some bizarre defending saw the ball strike the bar and rebound out to Matthew Pilgrim, who made no mistake from close range.

If Beccles had been able to see out the rest of the half with only a goal deficit they would still have been in the contest. But a cross/shot from the left drifted over keeper Cable and hit a post before diverting into the net, the scorer Alan Taylor, making the half-time score 3-1.

Two behind and in need of a quick early goal, manager Mick Broxup introduced Damian Bensley and Scott Daniels in place of Woods and Martin.

The Beccles midfield, minus the suspended Craig Peters, had struggled all game to gain the initiative but as the second half started they had wrestled back some of it.

Any chance of a comeback from the visitors proved unfounded as St Andrews added a fourth following a slick move which finished high in the roof of the net, giving keeper Cable no chance. The strike came from Ben Jarvis.

Beccles were then just playing for pride, but St Andrews went nap with a penalty from Charlie Bartram.

It became clear it was a damage-limitation exercise and the over-worked Beccles defence struggled to cope with the rampant home forwards. The game finally finished with a 5-1 scoreline which in no way flattered the home side.

Beccles will look to put this performance well behind them tomorrow when they host North Walsham (kick-off 2pm) at College Meadow.

Beccles Reserves travel to Easton with a kick-off time of 2pm.