Wright stars with bat and ball as Beccles CC get back to winning ways
- Credit: Archant
A stunning performance from all-rounder Alex Wright helped Beccles return to winning ways in Norfolk Alliance Division Two with dominant 69 run victory over Brooke A.
Captain David George won the toss and chose to bat first on what looked to be a tricky wicket. Robert Porter and Michael Fisher looked settled early on until opening bowler Christopher Barnham dimissed both Fisher (20) and then chairman Robson (1) in quick succession.
With the score on 31-2 Wright made his way to the crease and wasted no time finding the boundary and running well between the wickets.
The onslaught continued as he found the boundary on 23 separate occasions, four of which being top drawer sixes. When Porter, who had played an excellent supporting role, fell for 37 the superb partnership had reached 132.
Cam Robson then set up camp at one end to continue the support of Wright as he reached a magnificent 138 before losing his wicket and exiting the field to a standing ovation. More quick runs followed from the tail as Beccles finished on an impressive 277-9 from their 45 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Brooke reached 93 before Beccles managed to achieve their first breakthrough from an lbw off the bowling of all rounder Michael Fisher.
The partnership between Fisher (2-25) and Matt Lowe (3-36) proved to be pivotal as they bowled brilliantly in tandem, removing five of the Brooke top order. With the score on 165-6 and the dangerous opener Jonathan Andrews (76) removed by Ian Ruddock Brooke now faced a tough task. And the reintroduction of Hickman Supplies man-of-the-match Wright ended Brooke’s hopes as he took the remaining four wickets (4-30) with the visitors all out for 208, meaning Beccles took a maximum 25 points.
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 3 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 4 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 5 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 6 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
- 10 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
Beccles host third placed Hethersett & Tas-Valley at Beef Meadow tomorrow. The match will start at 1pm, with the bar being open and a barbecue being run.
Beccles A recorded a seven wicket win at Sheringham. Their bowlers restricted Sheringham to just 108-9 from their 45 overs (Norman 4-22, Hayes 3-19). Beccles reached the target for the loss of three wickets with Puxley (54) and Milton (26) the standout batsmen.
Ian Norman’s men travel to Garboldisham A tomorrow.