Yachtsmen too tough for Beccles

PUBLISHED: 10:06 13 February 2009 | UPDATED: 07:58 01 August 2010

Beccles Town hosted a Wroxham Reserves side that contained six first-team players and lost 1-0.

In a very tight game Town put up a spirited display but were denied a point by the game's only goal.

Beccles Town hosted a Wroxham Reserves side that contained six first-team players and lost 1-0.

In a very tight game Town put up a spirited display but were denied a point by the game's only goal.

Tomorrow, Beccles must regroup as a very difficult trip to Sheringham division leaders awaits (kick-off 2pm).

Manager Broxup made two changes from the side that lost 2-0 against Brandon the previous week, Waterman replacing Wilson in midfield and Woods making way for the returning Hurren, for his first game in nearly two months.

Cable remained in goal with the ever-present back four of Mcmorran, Wigg, Barham and Greengrass. The midfield trio consisted of Peters, Day and Waterman with Hurren and Holmes on either flank. Top scorer Remblance continued as the lone striker.

The College Meadow pitch survived a mid-morning inspection after most expected the game not to go ahead due to the previous week's bad weather.

The Yachtsmen attacked from the offset, putting Beccles under constant pressure for the first 15 minutes but creating few decent chances to trouble Cable in the Beccles goal.

In fact it was Beccles who threatened to break the deadlock as Hurren latched on to a Peters through-ball, but as he was set to pull the trigger, Wines made a last-ditch tackle to deny him.

Then Waterman found space around the box to fire a crisp drive across goal, but Smith was equal to it and pushed the ball away to safety.

After 25 minutes, Wroxham began to get a foothold in the game and began to create chances of their own.

Harley beat Mcmorran before sending in a teasing cross which went begging. Harley was proving a thorn in the side for Beccles and from another of his deliveries Bensley wasted a good opportunity when well placed.

Beccles did not sit back and continued to hit their superior counterparts on the break when possible and did this on another two occasions.

Day found Hurren in space on the right, he beat his man and cut inside before flashing a right-foot drive inches past the post.

Soon after Waterman was given time 25 yards from goal and unleashed a stunning strike that beat Smith all ends up but cannoned back off the bar and Wroxham cleared to safety.

The second half continued in the same vein as Wroxham enjoyed the majority of attacking possession, but the Beccles rearguard were coping well, especially the ever-reliable Barham who was having another fine game.

The Beccles attack was relatively non-existent in the second half. Remblance was having a quiet game up front along with Hurren and Holmes, who were being starved of the ball for long periods.

Dan Cook had a speculative effort fly high off the bar, followed by Paul Cook breaching Town's defence only for Cable to make an excellent stop to keep the score at 0-0.

But Paul Cook wasn't to be denied a second time as on 68 minutes he made the breakthrough.

Wines sent an excellent corner into the box for Cook to out-jump Cable and place his header past the helpless Mcmorran stranded on the goal line.

Beccles made changes, replacing the tiring Hurren and Peters in a bid to try to grab the equaliser but this was to no avail, and Wroxham managed to hold out to the final whistle to grab all three points.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Beccles and Bungay Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Beccles and Bungay Journal