Youth football round-up

BUNGAY TOWN U11, playing their last home match of the season on Sunday, celebrated a win against Freethorpe. An early goal from Harry Ellis set the pace and some excellent, strong defending by Leo Lavender and Harry Rayner prevented the visotors from having many opportunities on goal, with any attempts in the first half well saved by substitute goalkeeper Joshua Harris. William Charter made several noticeable fast runs down the wing, making some excellent passes into the box, and narrowly missed a goal as the ball hit the bar. Freethorpes’ goalkeeper played an excellent game, stopping some well-placed shots from the Bungay team. At half-time Joshua Wilde was substituted into the goalkeeping position and was kept busy as Freethorpe fought back. They had a few good attempts at goal, which they could not get past the keeper. There were some good corners taken by Harry Ellis in the second-half, and after a half-time substitution Callum Read came back onto the pitch to score four goals. Leo Lavender made a valiant attempt at heading the ball into the goal, with Harry Rayner having an effort disallowed as offside. Joshua Harris, Doeke Dobma and twins Patrick and Joseph Williams tackled well throughout the game and all four went on to score goals. Bradley Ashford once again, made some excellent runs up the centre of the field and narrowly missed his hat-trick. Xavier Clarke was Man of the match. Well done to both teams for an exciting and enjoyable game.

BUNGAY TOWN U15 moved into the Division Two promotion places with a 6-2 win at Kirkley and Pakefield B. Despite early home pressure, Bungay went 2-0 up when corners from Sam both went into the net. In between Callum had rattled the bar from 40 yards. Sam’s early hat-trick arrived thanks to approach work from Callum and Rhys, before Kieron and Rhys set Callum up for a headed fourth. K&P pulled one back before the break. Bungay added two more when Rhys was felled and Sam converted the penalty, before Jamie fired home a powerful low shot. K&P added one more with 10 minutes to go. This was an accomplished all-round performance by Bungay against opponents who showed much ability themselves.

Halesworth Town U9 played Sole Bay U9 in a game of two halves. The match started with possession shared equally but with few chances at either end. The stalemate was soon broken with an opening goal from Sole Bay the shot just trickling past the keeper with a defender tried in vain to clear off the line. A great solo equaliser from Halesworth’s Braidon Nurse followed quickly by a powerful free kick from Toby Chenery gave the visitors the lead. Halesworth extended their lead before half-time with a further two goals one being a well-timed lob over the keeper by Hayden Ling. Sole Bay also had chances one of which was a powerful shot parried onto the bar by James Mitchell.

The second half was a complete role reversal with the home side attacking with purpose. This, coupled with a lack of concentration from Halesworth, allowed Sole Bay back into the game with two quick goals. Their comeback was complete five minutes from time when their striker was more alert to a loose ball and calmly slotted the ball home giving the hosts a well-deserved 4-4 draw.

St Benets Wasps U9B were in the semi-final of the I&SYL Open Cup away to Woodbridge Town. Wasps took the lead from great play by Dylan. Pressure from Woodbridge paid off when they equalised. There was some good passing from Kurtis, Dylan and Tommo. Woodbridge took the lead. Good defending by Zak and Ewan kept Woodbridge chances at bay. Woodbridge made it three. There was good passing from MoM Lewis, Tariq and Aiden. Dylan scored his second. Ryan made some great saves. Tommo set up Dylan to get his hat-trick. Wasps were unlucky to concede a late goal. Final score: Wasps 3, Woodbridge 4.

St BenetS Wasps U9C travelled to Harleston U9 and knew they would be in for a tough match against strong opponents. But from the moment the boys arrived, in the warm up and from the first whistle the whole squad were first class. Wasps passed and tackled and won nearly every ball holding Harleston in their own half for long periods. The Harleston goal led a charmed life with Wasps hitting both posts and several top saves from the home keeper meant a goalless first half. Second half was more of the same but Harleston always looked dangerous on the break. Keeper CJ had little to do but kept good concentration as he made a good save from a Harleston breakaway. The whole team which included captain Myles P, Ryan N, Ryan D, Harrison, Etahn, Callum, Finlay and Charlie N were fantastic and the effort and general play warranted a goal but unfortunately it wasn’t to be and with further good saves from the Harleston keeper the game ended 0-0. Wasps can take many positives from the game and if they play to this level for the next three weeks they have every chance of finishing towards the top of the league.