A tale of lovers and brothers on stage in Beccles
- Credit: Archant
Warring brothers and a cross-dressing lover feature in one of Shakespeare’s best-loved comedies which takes to the stage at Beccles Public Hall on Friday, July 24
The RoughCast Theatre Company presents As You Like It in what will be its 12th Shakespeare tour since starting with Macbeth in 1999.
The production promises more comic turns than most of the other comedies put together with heroine, Rosalind, dressed up as a man, taking full advantage of her disguise to play the leading role in her romance with Orlando.
Add in some of Shakespeare’s most memorable speeches, amorous shepherds and good-hearted yokels and you have a perfect summer evening’s entertainment.
RoughCast tours Suffolk and Norfolk with productions noted for their pace, clarity and lively characters.
They perform in country houses and gardens, on village greens, in theatres, at zoos and castles bringing classic plays to life with vibrancy and zest.
At the end of July the company sets off for the Dordogne In France so this is a chance to catch them while they are still in the country.
- 1 Bungay Christmas street market to return this weekend
- 2 Time to vote for the Journal awards finalists
- 3 Garage forced open with mountain bikes stolen during burglary
- 4 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 5 Man taken to hospital after pedestrian struck by vehicle in north Suffolk
- 6 Suspended sentence for former church worker who indecently assaulted girl
- 7 Is this your dog? Police look to reunite Labrador with owner
- 8 Booster vaccine clinics being held at town's pharmacy
- 9 Omicron variant will come to Suffolk - county prepares to tackle it
- 10 Four fire crews called to bin lorry blaze in East Suffolk
Doors open at 7pm for the 7.30pm performance and tickets are £9 and £7 for concessions from www.becclespublichall.com, the box office or call 01502 770060.