Award boost for theatre society
- Credit: Archant
The Beccles based musical theatre society, the Waveney Light Opera Group, have been nominated for both of their 2014 shows by the National Operatic and Dramatic Association.
The comedy musical Curtains, which was performed last spring, has been nominated in the category of Best Musical while the sell-out autumn production of Singin’ In The Rain is up for a technical award for their work in totally deconstructing and rebuilding the stage for the rain scenes.
The group’s youth section Rising Stars have also been nominated for their 2014 production of Les Miserables.
Winners will be announced at a ceremony in Manchester next month.
Tickets are now on sale for the group’s next production of Sweeney Todd. Based on a Victorian melodrama, the musical version was adapted for Broadway in 1979 by Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler, with Angela Lansbury in the role of Mrs Lovett.
However it is probably more well known for the 2007 film adaptation starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, and the London stage revival of 2012 with Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton.
The show will be performed at Beccles Public Hall from April 28 to May 2.
- 1 Festival of Suffolk torch relay reaches Waveney
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Suffolk drivers urged to use caution in Quiet Lanes amid growing scheme
- 4 Art gallery celebrating local talent to launch at site of former mill
- 5 Popular band preparing to celebrate best of British music in Beccles
- 6 New Asian restaurant already fully booked a week after opening
- 7 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 8 'A very special weekend' - Bungay set for 'happy and glorious' Jubilee
- 9 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
- 10 Boost for Beccles Men's Shed with grant funding donation
For ticket information visit www.becclespublichall.co.uk or call 01502 770060.