Choir concert to aid charity
ST Michael’s Church in Beccles will be hosting a concert by visiting West Gallery choir, The Village Quire, in aid of Help For Heroes, next Saturday, October 30.
Prior to this, members of the choir will be holding an introduction to West Gallery singing in the form of a workshop at the Quaker Hall in Smallgate from 2-4.30pm.
West Gallery music forms the basis of the Village Quire’s musical repertoire, but with a strong association with pub singing and Morris dancing, they also perform songs in the folk idiom.
For the sake of some variety, appropriate village polyphony from other parts of the world is included where it suits their style of singing.
Ranging from robust and earthy songs, to beautifully gentle harmonies, the Village Quire get to every emotion.
You may also want to watch:
And as a bonus, actor Phil Smith links all the music together with readings from such well-known authors as Thomas Hardy and Parson Woodforde.
The Saturday night concert is being sponsored by the Royal Naval Association, Beccles branch.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 4 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
- 10 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
Tickets for the workshop are priced �10 or �15 for a combined workshop, and concert tickets are available through Jeremy Ewins, online at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tickets to the evening performance are also available from The Stationery Shop, Willows and Cossey Funeral Directors. Refreshments will be available.
The Village Quire will also visit Walpole Old Chapel next Sunday, October 31 at 3pm. The concert is entitled The Good Old Way. For more information call Christine Van Melzen on 01986 798308.
The concert will raise money for the chapel.