Choral society with mixed concert
BUNGAY Choral Society will be presenting a stella concert at St Mary's Church next Saturday, May 8. Two very different works will be presented - Henry Purcell's much loved Dido and Aeneas, and equally popular Coronation Anthems by G F Handel.
BUNGAY Choral Society will be presenting a stella concert at St Mary's Church next Saturday, May 8.
Two very different works will be presented - Henry Purcell's much loved Dido and Aeneas, and equally popular Coronation Anthems by G F Handel.
At the end of the concert there will be a wine and cheese party in the church to raise funds for the society
For this special occasion, and the May concerts in their beautiful setting are always very special, the 60-voice choir will be supplemented by four soloists including local and rapidly becoming well-known soprano Lucy Harvey.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be a string quintet, a harpsichord, and the restored St Mary's Church organ.
Dido and Aeneas, by Henry Purcell, is a short opera about a passionate love affair between the heroine, Dido, Queen of Carthage and Aeneas, and the handsome Prince of Troy. The opera includes the famous aria Dido's Lament.
- 1 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Hundreds receive coronavirus vaccine at pharmacy
- 4 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 5 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 6 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 7 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 8 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 9 Rapid Covid test sites planned for Bury St Edmunds and Lowestoft
- 10 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
The four well-known soloists are Lucy Harvey and Hilary Kenway (sopranos); Rosemary Greenhalgh (contralto); and Johnny Herford (baritone). Tim Patient will be playing the organ and harpsichord.
Tickets are �8 for adults with accompanied schoolchildren free. Tickets for the wine and cheese party are �3. They are available from Wightmans of Bungay or by calling 01986 892855. If unsold, at the door from 6.45pm.