International guitarist returns to Milestones Jazz Club
- Credit: Archant
This month’s concert at the Milestones Jazz Club in Lowestoft sees the return of The Kristian Borring Trio - a band led by a young guitarist who has been called “a rising talent on the new London jazz scene.”
Danish guitarist and composer Kristian Borring last played at Milestones in 2013 when he translated the work of bebop piano legend Bud Powell to his own guitar led trio.
This time round, during the concert on Sunday, Borring will be steering a steady course through original material from his upcoming third album, ‘Silent Storm’ via clear-sighted improvisations that are both elaborate and gently propulsive.
The lyrical intensity, melodic grooves and rich harmony of Kristian’s compositions often hide a complexity of changing time signatures and shifting forms that are an attempt to envision 21st century jazz while acknowledging its rich tradition.
Originally from Denmark, Borring studied bebop and contemporary jazz guitar at Koninklijk Conservatorium in The Hague and at Conservatorium van Amsterdam with Dutch guitar master Jesse van Ruller before being invited to continue his studies at Guildhall School of Music in London.
You may also want to watch:
A versatile musician now based in London, he has performed throughout the UK and Europe with a range of musicians from The Puppini Sisters to Kenny Wheeler and Bobby Wellins, playing everything from modern house and soul music to folk and jazz.
His influences include guitarists Jim Hall, Wes Montgomery and Pat Metheny and jazz legends Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock and Sonny Rollins.
- 1 Man found after going missing for 10 days
- 2 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 3 Woman's virtual head shave in memory of loved ones lost to cancer
- 4 Joy as pub prepares to reopen for first time since September
- 5 5 amazing Norfolk properties for if you win the lottery
- 6 Market town assault left victim 'quivering and shaking on the floor'
- 7 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 8 School warning after social media post about girls being approached
- 9 Drivers facing long delays on A146 due to roadworks
- 10 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
Borring is given vibrant support from some of the London jazz scene’s finest young players - the band’s full line-up features Borring on guitar, Mick Coady on double bass and Jon Scott on drums.
All Milestones gigs are held on the first Sunday of every month and take place at Hotel Hatfield, Esplanade, Lowestoft with the doors opening at 8pm.
Admission costs £7 or £6 for concessions. Milestones Jazz Club takes place in a basement room that requires the use of stairs.
Anyone who needs assistance can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01502 568684.