New show for Waveney Light Opera
CALAMITY Jane is the next show to be presented by Waveney Light Opera Group at Beccles Public Hall. Sarah Cook will play the title role, and she is delighted to be taking a part made famous by Doris Day, who was a great favourite of hers when she was a child.
CALAMITY Jane is the next show to be presented by Waveney Light Opera Group at Beccles Public Hall.
Sarah Cook will play the title role, and she is delighted to be taking a part made famous by Doris Day, who was a great favourite of hers when she was a child.
She used to watch any films in which Doris was featured, particularly Calamity Jane and Pillow Talk.
Sarah also played the part of Annie Oakley in a production of Annie Get Your Gun in 2006.
You may also want to watch:
Although there are similarities in the characters, Sarah explained that their personalities were quite different.
She said: “Unlike Annie Oakley, Calamity Jane is fanciful, reckless and prone to exaggeration - qualities which gave rise to her nickname.”
- 1 Green light for new homes bid in Norfolk village
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 4 Primary school reopens after outbreak of 17 Covid cases
- 5 New mayor unveiled for Bungay
- 6 Opening date revealed for community pub with 1,400 shareholders
- 7 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 8 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 9 What's opening in Waveney from May 17?
- 10 Man admits inflicting grievous bodily harm during altercation in Bungay
Apart from learning to play the piano at school, Sarah has no particular background in music.
Her parents encouraged her to join the Deben Players at Woodbridge when she was in her teens, and for 10 years she developed her skills as an actress and singer.
When she married her husband Ian, she became interested in performing with his heavy rock group. She played keyboard, bass guitar and sang backing vocals in three successive groups: The Clues, Gypsy Tarts, and Crush Deluxe.
She and her husband both joined Waveney Light Opera Group for its production of Little Shop of Horrors and have been enthusiastic members ever since.
Calamity Jane will run from October 14 to 18. Advance tickets can be reserved by calling 01502 712329.