Poignant play tells of life in the Western Front trenches
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Meet Tommy Atkins will be performed by Peter Gill at Beccles Public Hall on Friday, May 26.
On August 4 1914, with the declaration of war between Britain and Germany, reservist Tommy Atkins is immediately called up to serve his country. Within weeks he sees his first action in the fields of France and subsequently experiences the full scale of life in the Western Front trenches of the First World War - the horror, the pain, the misery, the boredom and even the moments of joy.
This play written by playwright/actor/musician Peter Gill (Talbot House, The Jerry Lee Lewis Story) details, through the eyes of a simple ‘Tommy’ the reality of war for those who actually fought it.
In an astonishing solo performance, Meet Tommy Atkins takes the audience through his war - a war that saw him fight at Ypres, Passendale, Loos and on the Somme and that took him to the depths of despair but also brought him unique comradeship that he would never find again. From the beginning of the war to the end, Private Tommy Atkins was there.
This is his story.
You may also want to watch:
The doors open for the show at 7.30pm.
All tickets are £10 and are available from Beccles Public Hall box office, open Monday to Saturday, 10am to 3pm, by telephone to 01502 770060 or online at www.becclespublichall.com
- 1 Hundreds receive coronavirus vaccine at pharmacy
- 2 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 5 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 6 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 7 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 8 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 9 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 10 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
Tickets are also available for fabulous local Blondie tribute band, One Way or Another, on Saturday, May 27, pop-up pianobar with Ian Sainsbury is on Friday, June 2, The Pure Floyd Show is on Saturday, June 10 and 70s and 80s Summer DISCO Inferno with DJ Paul Allen is on Saturday, June 17 - please support the Public Hall.
Tickets for all these events are available now!