Review: Young Halesworth soprano gives ‘highly professional’ performance
- Credit: Archant
Alice Howell, a 19-year-old soprano, presented her first one-woman performance at The Cut Theatre in Halesworth.
A packed theatre saw Alice present a wide range of the musical genre. She sang classical pieces in English, French, German and Italian. These were works from composers including Schubert and Strauss.
Alice sang a wide variety of songs from well-known musicals by Rodgers and Hammerstein, Kurt Weill, Ivor Novello, Stephen Sondheim and others. Particular favourites were Novello’s ‘Waltz of My Heart’ and Hammerstein’s ‘Bill’ from Showboat.
Her talented accompanist on the piano was Will Drew-Batty from Bungay, who also gave an insight into the context and history of each song. He also sang two solos and his duet with Alice, ‘All I Ask of You’ from the Phantom of the Opera was very moving.
Alice’s final song which bought prolonged applause was ‘A New Life’ from the Wildhorn/Bricusse musical ‘Jekyll and Hyde’.
You may also want to watch:
The concert was a highly professional performance by the young and talented Halesworth soprano and her accomplished accompanist. This is surely the start of a promising career for Alice in a highly competitive industry.
The evening was warmly received by the whole audience.
- 1 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 2 'A momentous occasion': Pharmacies to start Covid vaccinations in Suffolk
- 3 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 4 How I became Ralph Fiennes' assistant on Netflix's The Dig
- 5 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 6 Police investigate Southwold sign swearing at visitors to stay away
- 7 'Be vigilant' plea after rise in vehicle thefts
- 8 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 9 Frustration at delays to planned London-direct trains
- 10 Man recovering after suffering serious leg injury in crash
I have seen Alice develop over the years from a young, sometimes nervous but talented girl, to a flourishing and confident soprano.