Suffolk artist to exhibit work at The Cut
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk artist Mary Webb is having an exhibition of her work at The Cut Gallery in Halesworth later this month.
Mary Webb, who lives at Fressingfield, will be showing her paintings and prints at The Cut in an exhibition opening on February 24.
We will see a mature artist at the height of her powers – yet searching, as always, for more understanding of light, colour and landscape.
Inspired by her locality, Webb has also been a traveller, especially to the southern United States, and has a background in internationalism. She was a student at Newcastle under the gentle Victor Pasmore and that pioneer of 1960s pop art, Richard Hamilton.
She then took a postgraduate course at Chelsea School of Art and began her individual career influenced by such demanding European artists as Mondrian, Braque and the liberated Sonia Delaunay, who became a personal friend.
You may also want to watch:
Such rich, first-hand knowledge of modernism made Webb a wise and also demanding painting tutor at Norwich School of Art from 1966-90. This was also the period when she developed her own style.
The Mary Webb exhibition is at The Cut Gallery, New Cut, Halesworth, from Tuesday, February 24 to Saturday, March 28, opening hours Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm.
- 1 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 2 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 3 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 4 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 5 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 6 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
- 7 Bungay Wave set to ripple through town in support of flooding victims
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Laptop stolen from parked car in Beccles
For the full article and more pictures see this month’s edition of the EADT Suffolk magazine.