Suffolk artist to exhibit work at The Cut
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk artist Mary Webb is having an exhibition of her work at The Cut Gallery in Halesworth later this month.
Mary Webb, who lives at Fressingfield, will be showing her paintings and prints at The Cut in an exhibition opening on February 24.
We will see a mature artist at the height of her powers – yet searching, as always, for more understanding of light, colour and landscape.
Inspired by her locality, Webb has also been a traveller, especially to the southern United States, and has a background in internationalism. She was a student at Newcastle under the gentle Victor Pasmore and that pioneer of 1960s pop art, Richard Hamilton.
She then took a postgraduate course at Chelsea School of Art and began her individual career influenced by such demanding European artists as Mondrian, Braque and the liberated Sonia Delaunay, who became a personal friend.
You may also want to watch:
Such rich, first-hand knowledge of modernism made Webb a wise and also demanding painting tutor at Norwich School of Art from 1966-90. This was also the period when she developed her own style.
The Mary Webb exhibition is at The Cut Gallery, New Cut, Halesworth, from Tuesday, February 24 to Saturday, March 28, opening hours Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm.
- 1 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 2 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 3 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 4 Police investigate Southwold sign swearing at visitors to stay away
- 5 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
- 6 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 7 'A momentous occasion': Pharmacies to start Covid vaccinations in Suffolk
- 8 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 9 Ten high intensity exercises to 'start your day right'
- 10 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
For the full article and more pictures see this month’s edition of the EADT Suffolk magazine.