Opera group to stage ‘the perfect musical’ at Beccles Public Hall
- Credit: Archant
Tickets are now on sale for Waveney Light Opera Group’s production of My Fair Lady.
Frequently called ‘the perfect musical’ because of its superb plotline, based on George Bernard Shaw’s Pygmalion, and enchanting book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe; the original 1956 Broadway and London production starred Rex Harrison and Julie Andrews and set a record for the longest run of any show on Broadway up to that time. It went on to secure world-wide fame with the classic film adaptation which also starred Rex Harrison with Audrey Hepburn in the role of Eliza.
‘My Fair Lady’ tells the story of impoverished Cockney flower-girl, Eliza Doolittle who has ambitions to better herself by learning to speak more elegantly. She is taken on, for a bet, by arrogant phonetics teacher, Henry Higgins who attempts to pass Eliza off as an upper-class lady at Ascot and the Embassy ball. Of course, nothing goes as planned and Higgins soon learns that his project causes more complications than he ever imagined.
Waveney Light Opera Group have spent the last five months rehearsing for this production.
A spokesman for the group said: “The singing and dancing numbers are fantastic; including famous songs like, ‘Wouldn’t It Be Loverly’, ‘I’m Getting Married in the Morning’ and ‘I Could Have Danced All Night’ - performed with incredible energy by a talented and enthusiastic cast. Together with a beautiful set and lavish costumes, this promises to be a truly magical night out. Buy your tickets now before they sell out!”
You may also want to watch:
My Fair Lady will be on stage at Beccles Public Hall from Tuesday, April 24 to Saturday, April 28.
Tickets are available in person from the box office, open Monday to Saturday from 10am to 3pm, by calling 01502 770060 or online at www.becclespublichall.com.
The group currently presents two shows each year, one in the spring and one in the autumn, and later this year will be performing The Wedding Singer, also at Beccles Public Hall, from October 16 to October 20.
For more information about the group and upcoming shows, visit www.wlog.org.uk
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 Former pub and restaurant could become six-bed home
- 3 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 4 Concerns over lack of coronavirus vaccine centres in north Suffolk
- 5 English teacher's reading app disrupts market
- 6 WATCH: Therese Coffey 'walks out' of Piers Morgan interview on GMB
- 7 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 8 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 9 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 10 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'